Common Use Equipment Room
The Genomics Core maintains some select equipment available for public use:
Located in Room S-10 Plant Biology:
- Invitrogen Qubit fluorometer for DNA/RNA quantitation
- Covaris M220 sonicator for DNA fragmentation
- FLUOstar OPTIMA microplate reader for high throughput DNA/RNA quantitation
Access to our common use equipment room (Room S-10 Plant Biology Laboratories) is restricted at this time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The following procedures must be followed for researchers to access the common use equipment room.
- In order to access the room, a reservation must be made at least 12 hours in advance by using our Genomics Core Equipment Calendar. Reservations must not exceed 3 hours and work must be completed between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday (excluding University holidays). See the Equipment Calendar Instructions at the bottom of this page to make a reservation.
- An email must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the date and time of the new reservation, the instrument that will be used and the number of samples that will be processed. This will give the Genomics Core staff time to ensure that the appropriate reagents and disposables will be available for the researcher.
- If you will be using the Qubit, how many samples will be processed, and what type of assay will be used (DNA high sensitivity, DNA broad range, RNA high sensitivity, RNA broad range)?
- If you will be using the Covaris Sonicator, how many samples will be processed and which sonication tube will be used: 130 µl tube (p/n 520045) or 1 ml tube (p/n 520135)?
- Only a single person will be allowed to work in the room at one time.
- In the common use equipment room, researchers must wear gloves, which will be provided.
- Hand sanitizer will be available within the common use equipment room.
- Researchers must clean the equipment before and after use. A supply of 70% ethanol and paper towels will be available in the common use equipment room.
- In-person training will not be available for the common use equipment. Researchers should download, print out and read the manuals for the Qubit 1.0 or the Covaris M220 Sonicator. A training video for using the Qubit 1.0 in the Common Use Equipment Room is now available. An online manual for the FLUOstar Optima is not available. Write to email@example.com if you need information on using the FLUOstar Optima. A training video for the Covaris M220 Sonicator will be made available in the near future.
Reservations must not exceed 3 hours and work must be completed between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday.
In order to observe safe social distancing policies the common use equipment room will only be available to a single user at a time. In order to schedule bookings without conflict a resource calendar has been set up using the University's MS Office 365 Outlook Calendar. An MSU NetID is required to access these calendars. Configuration and scheduling reservations using this calendar differs depending on whether you access it via an MS Outlook desktop application or the Outlook Web Application. You may download detailed instructions specific for the method you use to access Office 365:
- Schedule using Outlook Desktop Application
- Schedule using Outlook Web Application
- Schedule using Outlook for Mac
After submitting an appointment request you will receive an email (and possibly a Calendar notification) either confirming or declining your request. If your request is declined a reason will be given in the email. If you do not receive an automated reply within a few minutes of making your request then your reservation was NOT made. If this happens or you have any questions please contact the Genomics Core (firstname.lastname@example.org).
After receiving confirmation of your appointment follow the Common Use Equipment Protocol above.