Sample Drop-off & Shipping
The Genomics Core is accepting samples for all projects, but because of restricted access to the Plant Biology Laboratories building, researchers who do not otherwise have access to the building must drop-off samples at the Genomics Core refrigerator at the loading dock of the Plant Biology Laboratories building. Researchers should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate that their samples have been deposited in the loading dock refrigerator.
Researchers who otherwise have access to the Plant Biology Laboratories Building may continue to drop off samples in the hallway refrigerator outside of the Genomics Core (room S-18).
Due to the pandemic, “overnight deliveries” from both FedEx and UPS are often taking two days to arrive at the Genomics Core. These overnight packages are being delayed in warehouses outside of Michigan. Once packages arrive in East Lansing, they are being delivered correctly, and we are having no problems with packages that make it to our building. Because of the probability of delay, samples should be sent with a gross excess of dry ice. We recommend five pounds or more. Additionally, plastic film seals for 96-well plates should be avoided as melted samples readily leak into adjacent wells. To avoid leakage, we recommend an excess of dry ice and using strip caps that were designed for the 96-well plate or sealing foil.
Please ship your samples following these instructions:
- Pre-register your samples in our LIMS before shipping.
- Upload your QC documents (TapeStation/Bioanalyzer reports, gel images, etc.) to the LIMS after project create or send a hardcopy with your shipment.
- Clearly label and seal all samples:
- For 1.5 ml tubes, clearly label the top and side of the tube with the sample name.
- For 96-well plates, label the plate (not the film or foil) with the plate name and LIMS project ID if there is room. Ensure plate(s) is completely sealed. Caps from 8-strip tubes may be used in place of foil or film, be sure they fit tightly on a plate.
- Protect tubes or 96-well plates during shipping by packing them in a secondary container, such as a 50 ml conical tube or freezer box.
- Include your signed LIMS submission form with your shipment and any hard copies of QC documents (TapeStation/Bioanalyzer reports, gel images, etc.).
- Ship samples overnight with an excess of dry ice on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Packages are accepted Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM (except holidays and closures, which are listed below).
- Shipping on Thursday for Friday delivery is NOT recommended.
- Notify the Genomics Core of your shipment by emailing email@example.com. Please provide the tracking number, shipping company, and shipment date. The Core will confirm receipt.
- It is recommended that FedEx be used for international shipments.
Address shipments to:
612 Wilson Road, S-18 D
East Lansing, MI 48824
Samples cannot be received during holidays or closures.
May 25, 2020
July 3, 2020
September 7, 2020
November 25, 2020 through November 27, 2020
December 24, 2020 through January 1, 2021