The MSU Proteomics Facility provides resources and expertise to assist researchers in the identification and characterization of proteins and peptides. Experiments from simple protein discovery to complex differential proteome profiling, post-translational modification mapping and protein/peptide quantification can be performed using our state-of-the art instrumentation and software.
- ThermoScientific Q-Exactive Mass Spectrometer - A hybrid instrument combining the high resolution and mass selectivity of a Quadrupole mass spectrometer with the high mass accuracy and high energy collision dissociation of an Orbi-trap mass analyzer. Together this allows for up to100x gains in sensitivity and 5x gains in scan speed resulting in unprecedented levels of identification and quantification.
- ThermoScientific LTQ Mass Spectrometer - Fast and sensitive Linear Ion Trap instrument ideal for protein identification and peptide confirmation in both simple and complex mixtures.
- Waters nanoAcquity and ThermoScientific UPLC’s - Award winning LC’s provide the liquid chromatographic interface for each of the MS systems. Designed for nano-scale, capillary and narrow-bore separations these systems attain the highest chromatographic resolution, sensitivity and reproducibility available.
- BioRad Criterion 1D and 2D gels - Robust platform for protein level separations and visualization.
- Invitrogen ZOOM Separator and Agilent OffGel 3100 Fractionator - pH based fractionation for separation of complex samples in the liquid phase for deep proteome profiling experiments.
- Waters Acquity H-class UPLC - Flexible and sensitive, the H-class allows high resolution separations of proteins and peptides using a variety of chromatographic techniques.
- Software suites including:
- Mascot Distiller
- Proteome Discoverer
- Mascot, Sequest, X!Tandem and Andromeda search algorithms
- Scaffold and Scaffold Q+S
Sample turn-around time for most experiments is 7-10 days. All data and results generated as well as an outline of all methods used in the analysis of your samples are placed onto a DVD or USB drive and shipped to you so you have full access to the data for publication/presentation. We are always accessible via email or phone for any questions you may have.